History of the Castle

The castle was built south of an old feudal place at the end of the rocky outcrop overlooking the Léguer valley, by the lords of Coëtmen.
 


Owned by Prigent, lord of this place from the late twelfth century, it goes to the favor of his daughter's wedding in the family Coëtmen who retained ownership until the early sixteenth century. During the wars of succession of the duchy of Brittany, the primitive stone castle was largely destroyed in 1394.
 


From 1406 and after coming back to the side of the Duke of Brittany, Roland III of Coëtmen began to rebuild the house north and east wings. Throughout the fifteenth century, his successors will seek to enlarge it, complete it, modernize and adapt to the development of artillery. Most of the buildings we know today date from this period.


 


In the first part of the XVIth century until the first half of the XVIIth century, through the succession, the estate became the property of the family of Acigné then the family of Gouyon de la Moussaye, who will undertake the repair and supplement the enclosure of the forecourt.
 


In the first half of the seventeenth century, after the dismantling of the building by order of Richelieu, the castle was sold to the family du Quengo. Undergoing a steady decline over the following centuries, all sold in 1879 to a merchant who planned to operate in a stone quarry.
 


Eugénie de Keroüartz marrying the Count Pierre de Rougé, the Marquis de Keroüartz managed to acquire the ruins of the castle and offered it to her daughter. The family of Coëtmen had extinct in the de Rougé in 1749. The last Baron Coëtmen before the Révolution, was Bonabes Victurnien Louis Alexis (1778-1838), Marquis de Rougé, future peer of France and Field-Marshal, grandfather of the Count Pierre de Rougé (1855-1912).
 
Since the 1950s, important work of consolidation and crystallization of the ruins were conducted at the initiative of the owners, under the direction of the chief architects with the help of the department, the region and the State.
 


Most of the remains were consolidated in the late 1990s and gave the castle its present appearance. The last intervention (tower of Rougé) took place in 2005-2006.
 
Castle Tonquedec was ranked among the list of Historical Monuments in 1862.
 


The whole castle area, consists of two distinct spaces, has a morphology related to the topography of the site on which it is implanted: the North is a high court whose access is controlled by a gatehouse with a drawbridge now disappeared. It is a plaza around which organized the ruins of the house and various towers (tower of Rougé and tower of Acigné), it housed the living spaces and the noble rooms of the castle. To the south is a front yard or backyard surrounded by thick curtains arranged beyond the gap to protect the original enclosure of the progress of artillery.
 



The Castle Tonquedec is today a quite exceptional coherent architectural site with its eleven towers, two towers connected to the main building by a drawbridge.
 


The building is a major example of military architecture of the Middle Ages and is an ideal place to discover the skills of the craftsmen, the art of war and everyday life in a castle between XIIth and XVIth century.

Histoire du château

C’est au Sud d’une ancienne motte féodale placée à l’extrémité de l’éperon rocheux qui domine la vallée du Léguer que fut construit le château des sires de Coëtmen, à Tonquédec.

 

Possédé par un certain Prigent, seigneur de ce lieu dès la fin du XIIème siècle, il passe à la faveur du mariage de sa fille dans la famille de Coëtmen qui en restera propriétaire jusqu’au début du XVIème siècle. Durant les guerres de succession qui ensanglantent le duché de Bretagne, le château primitif en pierre est en grande partie détruit en 1394.

 

À partir de 1406 et après s’être rangé aux cotés du duc de Bretagne, Roland III de Coëtmen entreprend la reconstruction du logis Nord et de son aile Est. Tout au long du XVème siècle, ses successeurs s’attacheront à l’agrandir, le compléter, le moderniser et à l’adapter au développement de l’artillerie. C’est de cette époque que datent la plupart des bâtiments que nous connaissons aujourd’hui.

 

Dans la première partie du XVIème siècle et jusqu’à la première moitié du XVIIème siècle, par le jeu des successions, le domaine devient propriété de la famille d’Acigné puis de la famille Gouyon de la Moussaye, qui entreprendra la réparation et le complément de l’enceinte de l’avant cour.

 

Dans la première moitié du XVIIème siècle, après le démantèlement de l’édifice sur ordre de Richelieu, le château est vendu à la famille du Quengo. Subissant un long déclin au cours des siècles suivants, l’ensemble est vendu en 1879 à un marchand de biens qui envisage de l’exploiter en carrière de pierres.

 

Alors que sa fille épouse le comte Pierre de Rougé, le marquis de Keroüartz parvient à acquérir les ruines du château et les offre à sa fille, la famille de Coëtmen s’étant éteinte dans celle de Rougé en 1749. Le dernier baron de Coëtmen, avant la Révolution, était ainsi Bonabes Louis Victurnien Alexis (1778-1838), marquis de Rougé, futur pair de France et maréchal de camp, grand-père du comte Pierre de Rougé (1855-1912).

 

Depuis les années 1950, d’importants travaux de consolidation et de cristallisation des ruines sont menés à l’initiative des propriétaires, sous la direction des architectes en chef qui se succèdent, avec l’aide du département, de la région et de l’État.

 

La plupart des vestiges sont consolidés à la fin des années 1990 et donnent au château sa physionomie actuelle. La dernière intervention (tour de Rougé ou donjon Nord) a eu lieu en 2005-2006.

 

Le château de Tonquédec a été classé parmi les Monuments Historiques par liste de 1862.

 

L’ensemble castral, constitué de deux espaces distincts, présente une morphologie liée à la topographie du site sur lequel il s’implante : au Nord se trouve une cour haute dont l’accès est commandé par un châtelet muni d’un pont-levis aujourd'hui disparu. Elle constitue une esplanade autour de laquelle s’organisent les ruines des différents logis et tours (la tour de Rougé et la tour d’Acigné), elle abritait les espaces de vie et les pièces nobles du château. Au Sud se trouve une avant cour ou basse cour entourée d’épaisses courtines disposées au delà du fossé et destinée à protéger l’enceinte primitive des progrès de l’artillerie.

 

Le château de Tonquédec présente aujourd’hui un ensemble architectural cohérent tout à fait exceptionnel avec ses onze tours dont deux donjons reliés à l’édifice principal par des pont-levis.

 

L’édifice est un témoin majeur de l’architecture militaire du Moyen-Âge et est d’autre part un lieu idéal pour découvrir les savoir-faire des artisans, l'art de la guerre et la vie quotidienne dans un château fort entre le XIIème et le XVIème siècle.

Souhaitez-vous obtenir de plus amples informations sur l'histoire du Château ?

Looking for more information on the Castle?


L'ouvrage de référence:

The most accurate booklet on the topic:

"Le Château de Tonquédec", par le Comte Bertrand de Rougé et le Comte Aymeric de Rougé, Éditions d'Art Jack, 2011.